Home Properties Rentals Guides to France Service Directory French News
Login | Register

News in France
French News
Building & Renovation
Business in France
French Life
French Taxation
Health in France
Money in France
Property Picks
Property in France
Travel in France

Site News

Property Market Reports
Main Menu
Guides To France
Contact the Editor

Search from our database of over 10,000 properties and find your dream home today!

Payment of French Income Tax 2016

If you are finding it difficult to pay your French income tax bill this year it is possible to ask for a delay in settling the bill.

Income tax bills (avis d'imposition) were sent out in France in August, including a consolidated demand for payment of social charges (prélèvements sociaux) that may be due for those who are assessed for the charges on an annual basis.

The bill should not come as too much of a shock to most households, for tax rates have remained stable for income earned in 2015, and most households will already be accustomed to having made payments on account (by two instalments or direct debit) in anticipation of the bill.

Moreover, over 50% of households in France are below the income threshold that would make them liable for income tax. There are also less generous concessions for low income households on the social charges.

For those whose tax bill has come as a bit of a shock, or who otherwise find themselves in financial difficulties at this time, it is possible to make application to the local tax office for a longer period of time to pay the bill.

Where your income has declined by at least 30% over the proceeding three months you are entitled, as of right, to more time to make the payment.

In order to avail yourself of this right you need to provide proof of your reduction in income and your current circumstances.

Less than 30% then the decision is discretionary, although where your circumstances have changed significantly for the worse since the previous year it is not unusual for a longer period for payment to be agreed.

You would be best advised to go along to your local tax office with relevant documentation and discuss your position and options with a tax official.

Related Reading:

This article was featured in our Newsletter dated 05/09/2016

Advertising Links Help Info France Information Regions Version Francaise Forums

Copyright © French-Property.com | Property in France | Rentals France