Chalet Four Seasons
... a restored 19th-c. stone- and wood-built family farmhouse on a southerly vineyard and forested slope with views of peaks and old farm hamlets, in France's favourite countryside holiday region with the world's top-rated skiing.
At ground level: a cosy pine-panelled open-plan kitchen-dining and breakfast bar; with adjoining snug with armchairs / sofa - or as fourth bedroom, and lounge with comfy sofas and French windows opening onto a wide furnished terrace with panoramic views; large utility-ski-work room; level-access from road to parking for 2 cars
Upstairs: two double and a triple bedroom with double-glazed French windows onto 'Juliet' balconies; bathroom, shower room, two separate w-c (ground and first floors).
Winter access: the road passes below the side terrace, and the front door and parking are at the side of the house facing the next-door chalet. So when there's any snow at our (650m.) level, you and your car are only 10m. to the cleared road, so to get to the slopes or shops - or in emergency - there's no ½ hour+ to clear a driveway or front path.
The price-chart is for up to 7 (or 9 if agreed); maybe with discounts for below 7, or families.
(it's just about possible to sleep up to 9 with the triple bedroom and small double sofa-bed. Can discuss if this might suit your party, please call us). For our best offer please call, or tell us your party size and ages in an enquiry email with your tel. no.
- SKIING (more below): local lifts 20 mins, or 35-45 mins to 10 other "outstanding and low-cost" resorts (quote Daily Tel.), or the '3 valleys'
- SUMMER LEISURE (more below): most of the scores of sports and outdoor activities within 15-45 mins; and Lake Geneva and Chamonix-Mt. Blanc 1½-2 hrs
… and SERVICES
You're 6 mins from the attractive village of ‘La Chambre’, for...
- Main 'budget' supermarket; 5 'bistro' and 1 'gourmet' restaurants-bars, shops, banks, doctors-dentist-pharmacy, garage; dozens more, 20 mins
- Village inn; Ibis motel; Post and Tourist Offices; schools; historic church
- Motorway: Calais 9½ hrs (to airports - read on)
- Trains: UK (S-E) 7½ hrs
- Skiing: Valmorel-St Francois (165Km piste) or 'Les Sybelles' (310 Km), 20 mins; 9 more resorts inc world #1 'Three Valleys, 35-45 mins (more below)
- Summer: Alpine forest footpaths and cycle routes from your front door, and scores of summer sports-outdoor-cultural-sightseeing activities at 15-45 mins (more below)
... and if you wish, we’re here summer and ski-time for free 'Holiday Hosting' chats in-chalet, and on mobile for help with French-language and directions help.
- for skiing: sadly, on-piste hosting - free or not - is still illegal here (except as a family group) ! ... and ski-schools do spy out for it ... But we can brief you on all resorts, including closest lifts, best pistes and restaurants (can pre-book popular places for you); and best prices for passes, hire, insurance, etc. Also, we can help with groups of beginners needing pre-ski help with equipment, theory, and on-piste conduct in general.
- for summer: briefings where to book and get to: sports, outdoor activities, visit destinations, event planning; with maps, prices, and resort or town guides and brochures
SELF-DRIVE at any time of year is far the best for cost, convenience, and almost best for total journey time - Calais to us, 9½hrs + 2½hrs ferry, at say £420 for 5 (and our quick toll-avoiding route on 'A' roads saves another £100)
… and CHEAP FUEL
Fuel is at least 10% cheaper than UK (diesel 20%, and all a FURTHER 10% LESS in supermarket filling stations! So fill up in Calais, we have supermarket locations ...
SERVICES and ATTRACTIONS:
AIR route and fares
SKI season (only) - budget flights to Chambery CMF (Jet2, FlyBe, ?Monarch, Wizz, BA), Grenoble GNB (Ryan) or Geneva GVA (EJ, cheap Swiss/BA etc.)
SUMMER - budget flights to Geneva GVA (EJ, cheap Swiss/BA etc.) or Lyon LYS (misc airlines)
AIR-FARES: budget, from £90 return if outside Feb / Aug school hols - but up to £500+ if not !
TRANSFER COST / TIME from airports:
SKI season: for a non-package-tour airport transfer for 5, allow £460 return by minibus / taxi ! - and maybe not available to the chalet from GVA.
So any time of year, hire a car instead (~£250; from GVA, hire from the French terminal exit) … the bonus being a free car to get to skiing or summer activities.
Drive time: only 45 mins from Chambery CMF or 60 mins from Grenoble GNB (Ryan); GVA 90 mins.
AIR and RAIL JOURNEY TIMES are say 9½+ hrs door-door from S-E UK (including check-in time, baggage and car claim, and 1½ hrs drive from airport).
RAIL route and fares
Rail the way (the most civilised !) gets you to within 10 mins taxi of the chalet (except ‘Snow-train’), but still needs local car-hire for skiing and summer hols.
Route is: Eurostar/SNCF-TGV via Paris (taxi change) or Lille, or new Eurostar/TGV route via Lyon.
Fares: all ~£150-190; if any over-60s or students in your party, book your whole journey with www.voyages-sncf.com for low-fare offers - inc. 1st-class upgrades for over-60s.
Also there's the Eurostar ‘Snow train’ non-stop to Moutiers (55 mins to us), £120 if booked 4 mths ahead, or up to £190.
… and - a 'SURPRISE' route to get you closest to the chalet…
… is AIR-RAIL: Ryan or E-J to Milan (Bergamo BGY) or Malpensa (MXP) then short coach trip to Milan 'Porto Garibaldi' station, and French ( ! ) TGV train direct to the chalet, 10 mins from St- Avre - La Chambre station. Total fare can be down to £100…
As Peter Hardy (ex ‘Which?’ Ski Guide) put it in the 'Telegraph'… "Outstanding skiing at prices half that of the popular places, in resorts like St Francois (us!) few Brits have even heard of!"…
...where our local skiing is a vast sunny south-facing bowl with some of the best green-blue beginner-intermediate boulevard pistes we’ve come across in 40 years on ski! - with more testing reds and blacks off the peaks behind. It's all at above a snow-sure 1650m in the 165Km ‘Grande Domaine’ of St-Francois Longchamp-Valmorel whose £96* 6-day pass may well be cheapest in the Alps!
* call us for details, needs advance on-line booking in French, and not obvious on their web-site!
And all this just 15 mins drive to the chalet; no walk, no ½-hour ski-bus wait, no lift queue... and after that 'last run' a warm car, and no hike in ski-boots humping cold slippery skis.
Or within 30 mins the Maurienne - the “Fourth Valley” - has a dozen more 'outstanding bargain' £19/day resorts with lifts direct from car park to piste... as is Val Thorens / 3 Valleys! – but twice the price!
SUMMER LEISURE - ACTIVITIES - SPORTS
Many walking and cycling routes start at your front door - paths in our private woods lead up to alpine meadows, or down to the Bugeon valley and river; and up at St Francois more hiking, plus mountain biking, adventure trails, swimming, tennis, archery, and balneotherapy centre
Venturing further afield are unlimited mountain walking and climbing; the world’s largest network of mountain bike (MTB/VTT) trails; archery; swimming; water skiing; canoeing; canyoning; adventure trails / via ferrata; road cycling (signposted local and Tour de France routes); fishing; parapente; flying; tennis; boule; quads; grass skiing.
Send an enquiry
to the Owner to view more information about this property.
Once your enquiry has been sent, the Owner will reply as soon as possible.