Public Holidays in France 2018
Tuesday 09 January 2018
The 11 public holidays in France for 2018 to put in your diary, as well as school dates.
- Monday 1st January - New Year's Day (Jour de l'An)
- Monday 2nd April - Easter Monday (Lundi de Pâques)
- Tuesday 1st May - Labour Day (Fête du Travail)
- Tuesday 8th May - VE Day - (Fête de la Victoire 1945)
- Thursday 10th May - Ascension Day (l'Ascension)
- Monday 21th May - Whit Monday (Lundi de Pentecôte)
- Saturday 14th July - Bastille Day (Fête Nationale)
- Wednesday 15th August - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (l'Assomption)
- Thursday 1st November - All Saints' Day (La Toussaint)
- Sunday 11th November - Armistice Day (Armistice 1918)
- Tuesday 25th December - Christmas Day (Noël)
Where a public holiday falls over a weekend, by local agreement employees may be given an extra day paid holiday in lieu, but this is not obligatory.
Only May Day is classed as a statutory (paid) public holiday in France.
When a public holiday falls on a Tuesday or a Thursday many people make a 'bridge' holiday (faire le pont), creating a long weekend. The month of May this year looks to be particularly advantageous to do so, with no less than 4 public holidays occurring mid-week in the month.
Alsace and Lorraine have two extra public holidays - 30th March and 26th Dec.
In terms of school holidays, you can find the dates at French School Calendar 2017/18.
This article was featured in our Newsletter dated 09/01/2018