French Public Holidays 2016
Wednesday 03 February 2016
The 11 public holidays in France in 2016 to put in your diary.
- Friday 1st January - New Year's Day (Jour de l'An)
- Monday 28th March - Easter Monday (Lundi de Pâques)
- Sunday 1st May - Labour Day (Fête du Travail)
- Thursday 5th May - Ascension Day (l'Ascension)
- Sunday 8th May - VE Day - (Fête de la Victoire 1945)
- Monday 16th May - Whit Monday (Lundi de Pentecôte)
- Thursday 14th July - Bastille Day (Fête Nationale)
- Monday 15th August - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (l'Assomption)
- Tuesday 1st November - All Saints' Day (La Toussaint)
- Friday 11th November - Armistice Day (Armistice 1918)
- Sunday 25th December - Christmas Day (Noël)
As can be seen, a number of the public holidays fall over a weekend. By local agreement employees may given an extra day paid holiday in lieu, but this is not obligatory.
Only May Day is classed as a statutory (paid) public holiday in France.
When a public holiday falls on a Tuesday or Thursday France many people make a 'bridge' holiday (faire le pont), creating a long weekend.
Alsace and Lorraine have two extra public holidays.
This article was featured in our Newsletter dated 03/02/2016