Public Holidays in France 2017
Friday 06 January 2017
The 11 public holidays in France in 2017 to put in your diary.
- Sunday 1st January - New Year's Day (Jour de l'An)
- Monday 17th April - Easter Monday (Lundi de Pâques)
- Monday 1st May - Labour Day (Fête du Travail)
- Monday 8th May - VE Day - (Fête de la Victoire 1945)
- Thursday 25th May - Ascension Day (l'Ascension)
- Monday 5th June - Whit Monday (Lundi de Pentecôte)
- Friday 14th July - Bastille Day (Fête Nationale)
- Tuesday 15th August - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (l'Assomption)
- Wednesday 1st November - All Saints' Day (La Toussaint)
- Saturday 11th November - Armistice Day (Armistice 1918)
- Monday 25th December - Christmas Day (Noël)
Where a public holiday falls over a weekend, by local agreement employees may be given an extra day paid holiday in lieu, but this is not obligatory.
Only May Day is classed as a statutory (paid) public holiday in France.
When a public holiday falls on a Tuesday or a Thursday many people make a 'bridge' holiday (faire le pont), creating a long weekend.
Alsace and Lorraine have two extra public holidays - 14th April and 26th Dec.
This article was featured in our Newsletter dated 06/01/2017