8. Works Declaration in France - Déclaration Préalable

  1. Applicable Works
  2. Application Procedure
  3. Completion Notice
  4. Appeal Process

8.1. Applicable Works for a Déclaration Préalable

There are some building works that do not require planning consent, but submission of a works declaration.

The works declaration is called a déclaration préalable.

Those building works that require a works declaration can be summarised as follows:

  • An extension to an existing building not greater than 20m² (40m² where local plan in place) including attic conversions;
  • New building not greater than 5m² up to 20m²;
  • Creation of any openings in a building;
  • Changes to the exterior finish of the property where property is located in protected area;
  • A submerged swimming pool when the area of the pool is greater than 10 square metres and less than one hundred square meters and provided the pool has no fixed covering structure (ie, within some form of building, or sliding above-ground panels). If the pool is covered and if the fixed or mobile cover does not have a height greater than 1.80 metre, the construction work of the pool and the roof requires a declaration.
  • Works to historic listed buildings not requiring planning consent;
  • Boundary wall or fence above 2 metres, although it varies by local area;
  • Change of use of a building, even where no works undertaken (although planning consent required if external structure altered or structural work undertaken);
  • Solar Energy - For ground fixed production facilities of less than 3Kw, if its height is not more than 1.80 metres. For an installation with a production of 3Kw a works declaration is required in all cases; Solar panels fitted to the roof of a building also require a works declaration;
  • Installation of temporary caravan;
  • Major excavation of land or raising of land levels;
  • Greenhouses whose height above the ground is between 1.80 metres and 4 metres;
  • Cutting or lopping of trees in woods, parks or forests prescribed in a local plan. This might also apply to protected hedgerows.

For any works in a protected area (secteur sauvegardé, site classé, réserve naturelle) then consult with your local council.

If you are unsure of whether a works declaration or planning application is required you can read more at building works requiring planning consent..

In this regard, any new building or extension under or equal to 5m² does not require any formality, unless any of the other criteria above apply.

If your application is successful, planning taxes are payable, about which you can read more at Taxes d'urbanisme.

In addition, depending on the type of works, it is also possible the rateable value of your property will be increased, as a result of which you will pay higher local property taxes.

Next: Application Procedure

Back: Planning Appeals in France

The Guides to France are published for general information only.
Please visit our Disclaimer for full details.