- Guides to France
- Money, Finance & Taxation
- Repayment Difficulties
Finance & Taxation
Mortgages in France
- 1. Top Tips
- 2. Remortgage or Euro Mortgage?
- 3. Types of Mortgage Credit
- 4. Mortgage Lenders
- 5. Types of Home Loans
- 6. Home Equity Release
- 7. Eligibility Criteria
- 8. Applying For a Mortgage
- 9. Mortgage Insurance Protection
- 10. Getting a Mortgage Offer
- 11. First-Time Buyer Mortgages
- 12. Mortgages for Residents of Paris
- 13. Mortgage Repayment Difficulties
Guides to France
Property in France
- Buying property in France
- Buying off-plan in France
- French property auctions
- SCI Ownership
- French property rights
- Renting property in France
- Selling property in France
Building & Renovation
- Building a house in France
- French planning system
- Property renovation in France
- French property rights
- French Mobile Homes
Work & Business
Money & Taxation
- Banking in France
- French mortgages
- Currency Exchange
- Taxes in France
- French inheritance
- French home insurance
Living in France
- French Health Insurance
- French Home Insurance
- Inheritance Tax & Law Consultancy
- French Planning
- Transfer Money to France
- Metric Unit Conversion
13. Repayment Difficulties with your French Mortgage
If you get into difficulties with your mortgage repayments then most lenders will normally be prepared to negotiate a repayment plan with you.
Indeed, in the event of a catastrophic event in the family (death, loss of job) they are obliged by law to do so.
If the situation is serious and you face possible bankruptcy then you can seek assistance from the Commission départementale de surendettement who will act on your behalf in discussions with the lender.
This body is part of the Bank of France.
If necessary, they will take court proceedings to seek relief from payments, or stop any action by the lender to seek legal possession of the property.
They may also insist on you selling the property, but only if you have other suitable accommodation to which you could relocate, or purchase.
There is a Commission in each county of the country, details of which you can obtain from your préfecture.
Next: Index - Mortgages in France
The Guides to France are published for general information only.
Please visit our Disclaimer for full details.
A majestuous estate overlooking a beautifull valley in Southern France. Excellent condition , Spa , sauna, swimming pool…6Lot-et-Garonne (47)
Beautiful wooded property in the heart of the highly exclusive residential park of Maisons-Laffitte5Yvelines (78)
Canal Du Midi Waterfront Home3Aude (11)
Large 3 floor Cottage on a Castle Estate, close to the sea 35min and 1 hour from Calais3Pas-de-Calais (62)