Try our new Property Search

7. Social Security Contributions in France

  1. Basic Rules
  2. Employers and Employees
  3. Self-Employed
  4. Retired Persons
  5. Early Retirees
  6. Social Charges (CSG/CRDS)

7.3. Social Security Contributions for Self Employed Persons

If you are self-employed in France then the level of your contributions will depend on the legal and tax status of your business, eg limited company, micro-entreprise.

The rules are complex and can only really be summarised here.

Broadly speaking:

  • If you have micro-entreprise business tax status you will pay social security contributions as a percentage of your turnover, whose rates will vary by type of business - around 13% to 25%.
  • If you operate on the basis of the régime réel then you pay social security contributions after deduction of your actual eligible costs, at a level of around 45% of net profits.

There are various exemptions that operate for the self-employed, notably in relation to those starting a business in a development area, or out of unemployment.

There are also concessions for low profits.

You need to refer to our detailed review of social security contributions for the self-employed in our pages on Social Security Contributions for Business Owners and Micro-Entrepreneur Tax Regimes.

Next: Retired Persons

Back: Employers and Employees

If you would like to receive regular information on French taxes, buying French property and living in France, then you can register to receive free of charge each month our popular Newsletter.

Couldn't find what you are looking for? Search again now!
Custom Search

The Guides to France are published for general information only.
Please visit our Disclaimer for full details.