5. Property Surveys in France

  1. Statutory Surveys
  2. Building Surveys
  3. Land Surveys

5.3. Land Surveys in France

It may well be that the boundaries of the property you are proposing to buy are not clearly shown on the land registry plan, called the plan cadastral.

Alternatively, you may be dividing an existing registered plot of land.

In either case you will need to get a land survey carried out by a land surveyor, called a géomètre.

The costs of this survey are normally shared between the seller and the buyer.

Even if the boundaries of the property are clearly shown, the plan cadastral offers no guarantee on the surface area or boundaries of the land.

The land area shown on the land registry plan is approximative only, carried out historically for taxation purposes, not for the sale and purchase of property.

Accordingly, if you are in any doubt, you need to measure the land yourself, or arrange for a surveyor to carry out a survey.

If you do later find that the surface area of the land is smaller than stated by the estate agent (or seller) it is possible to obtain legal recourse, provided you have not purchased on a completely unconditional basis ('as seen'), and that there is a difference of at least 5% between the stated and actual surface area.

You may also be interested in reading our Guide to French Property Boundaries.

Next: Local Searches

Back: Building Surveys in France

The Guides to France are published for general information only.
Please visit our Disclaimer for full details.