La Baule Property Insight
La Baule is a town of 16,000 inhabitants, part of the Loire-Atlantique departement in the Pays de la Loire. Located at the Atlantic Ocean, it is a famous sea resort standing at the west of Saint-Nazaire, along the Côte d'Amour. It is highly reputed for its long sandy beach of almost seven kilometres in the Pouliguen bay, sometimes called the “most beautiful beach of Europe”.
The town lies on a sandy area comprising consequent dunes. Its beach is shared with the communes of Pornichet and Pouliguen, where the Saint-Benoit beach is renowned for its fine white sand. The area is really appreciated by tourists, due to the marvellous beach but also the several facilities it offers. Lots of various activities can be done in this town located in the middle of an unspoilt nature. Indeed, it comprises 650ha of pine forest and 47ha of state-owned forest.
The surroundings of La Baule are also beautiful such as the Natural Park of Brière or the Côte Sauvage (literally the “wild coast”) that possesses an incredible beauty. Not far from there, salterns can be seen. It is there that is produced the famous fleur de sel de Guérande. Guérande is also a fortified medieval town perfectly preserved with winding alleyways highly animated during summer. On the coast, the fishing harbours of Croisic and La Turballe are representative of the region and its identity. Indeed, the atmosphere reminds the Breton culture which is also claimed in this departement.
Search for La Baule property now!
La Baule Immobilier & Property Market Trends
As in every sea resort, the property price in La Baule is high. At the beginning of 2009, the price to buy a property there was around €4,800/sq m while the national average was about €3,200/sq m. This price is due to the strong international demand emanating of the fact that La Baule has several facilities that other sea resorts do not all have. Only 20% of the buyers are local people. The rest comes from the Ile-de-France or Nantes and its urban area. Thus, it is not a surprise to find out that 60% of the total properties are second homes. Generally, the properties are not small because 50% of them at least comprises two bedrooms and 60% of the properties are detached houses.
To get updated info about the property prices in Loire-Atlantique, please browse our French Property Market Reports published in the News Section every month.
Click here to have an overview of Pays de la Loire Property Prices.
4 Reasons to Buy a Property in La Baule
- Street markets: La Baule has two different markets that exist the whole year round, even if they are more important during summer. The central market takes place every morning in and out the covered market. Inside, almost only food can be found. This is quite typical and very animated as every trader tries to sell their products. There, you will find the fishing of the day but also cheese, meat or vegetables. The market of Le Pouliguen is worth the detour, especially during summer when 100 extra exhibitors participate to this market.
- Good food: the town comprises many good restaurants where to taste all the specialities of the region, especially fish and shellfish such as ray, sole, oyster, langoustine… Or it is possible to buy extra fresh fish and shellfish at the covered market and to follow the advices and recipes of the fishmonger. Many crêperies also abound in La Baule and its surroundings where it is possible to eat delicious whole-wheat pancakes, a speciality of Bretagne.
- Activities: La Baule is the perfect place to practice activities. Beside its long sandy beaches, its casino, its racecourse and its well-known spa, there is an amazing golf course of 45 cups that is one of the most beautiful golf of Europe. For those who prefer to play tennis, not less than 120 clay courts are waiting for tennis enthusiasts. La Baule is also a privileged town to do some beautiful ballades, by foot or by bicycle.
- Return on investment: buying a property is certainly expensive in La Baule, as it is very popular an attracts wealthy tourists. However, the renting price is also usually very high for those who decide to let their property during summer, especially during the month of August.
Property Styles and Architecture in La Baule
- Apartments: in the middle of the 20th century, the town became more and more touristy. Thus, lots of people wanted to buy an apartment there. Today, the seafront is constituted of middle-size buildings dating from 1960 until now. It can be compared to a modern « American » esthetiscm because of its unusual juxtaposition.
- Villas: The sea front of La Baule comprises many villas and its appearance progressively changed since 1960 when the sea resort has been popularised. The numerous villas composes a true mosaic of different times, styles and materials used. These show the different taste and regional origins of its owners. Thus, it is possible to find Provencal Mas, chalets but also houses of Breton, Basque or Norman influence !
Click here for more info about the Architecture in Pays de la Loire.
Search for La Baule property now!
Couldn't find what you are looking for? Search again now!
The Guides to France are published for general information only.
Please visit our Disclaimer
for full details.