Sablé-sur-Sarthe Property Insight
Sablé-sur-Sarthe is a French 13,500-inhabitant town located in the south west of the Sarthe department – Pays de la Loire region. Situated at the junction of Paris area, Normandy, Brittany and Centre, the commune is 50km to Le Mans, Angers and Laval.
With a good industrial potential, Sablé-sur-Sarthe offers its inhabitants a great lifestyle. The town holds natural assets and a rich heritage as well as facilities and events, which make the area a pleasant place to live in. You can discover the zone by foot, riding a horse, by boat or by car. If the sea is missing, Sablé is the most important fluvial tourism marina.
For many years, Sablé has been above all a military stronghold where the burg developed. The current castle was built over the former 18th-century stronghold. You can see some remains such as stables, ramparts and towers (in Place Dom Guéranger). As from the 60’s, Sablé has known a development in food industry, metallurgy and electric materials.
After the water, the air is an element making the pride of the town. You can not spend holidays or live in the town without visiting the museum called A l’homme Volant, a museum dedicated to the air conquest. Located in a half-timbered house, it tells how was created the four-wing flying machine.
We should also quote the Sablé marble decorating the so-called black-marble courtyard of the Palace of Versailles and numerous regional Baroque altarpieces. But Sablé is also a noun: round, golden brown and crunchy, the famous Petit Sablé is a delicious cookie pure butter really worth tasting!
Search for Sable sur Sarthe Property now!
Sable sur Sarthe Immobilier & Property Market Trends
Property prices in Sablé sur Sarthe have been decreasing from February 2008 to November 2008. Indeed, they were about €1,800 /sq m and dropped by over €200 /sq m. In 2009, prices started to increase so it may be the right time to buy there. However, prices remain quite low (around €1,600 /sq m) compared with other areas. Furthermore, with 61.5% of tenants, Sablé represents a great location if you are looking for a buy-to-let investment. It offers great rental opportunities and a property placement should be fast profitable to you.
To get updated info about property prices in Sarthe, please browse our French Property Market Reports published in the News Section every month.
Click here to have an overview of Pays de la Loire Property Prices.
5 Reasons to Buy a Property in Sablé-sur-Sarthe
- Economic sectors: Sablé is the first economic centre of Sarthe in terms of vitality and the second in terms of size. It offers a strategic position to the companies setting up there since close to the Paris area and western markets. The town is a thriving pole divided in four main sectors: food industry (bovine and porcine meat, poultry), metallurgy, electronics and plastics processing.
- Events: Sablé Baroque Annual Festival is an inevitable step when living in the area. Created in 1979, it is one of the main Baroque meetings of France and gathers the most prestigious artists along with young but talented interpreters. Fourteen concerts are displayed in four days: just feel the music! Another great event is the Rockyssimôme, also called the children Woodstock. Each year, 8,000 children - between 3 and 12 - give concerts and shows during 6 hours in Sablé castle. A lovely time not to be missed!
- Street markets: three times a week, Sablé-sur-Sarthe welcomes street markets. They are the occasion to meet and speak with the locals and to discover the typical produce of the town and area. You will also find fresh food and clothes. Why not take advantage of the street market day to hang out in the town and maybe discover some wonderful places, nice bars of restaurants and have a break there?
- Architectural style: Sablé’s architectural heritage gathers 19th-century urbanism and medieval sinuous streets. The first one reveals a luminous town thanks to its limestone front facades whereas the second one is more mysterious and diarist. There, you will see beautiful half-timbered houses. Saint Nicolas suburbs houses amazing properties of the 16th and 17th centuries. You should also stare at Solesmes abbey (centre of the Gregorian chant).
- Location – transport links: Sablé-sur-Sarthe is 1h15 to Paris with the high-speed train. By road, it is 2 ½ hrs to Paris, 1 ¾ of Caen, 1 ½ to Nantes and Rennes, 40 minutes to Le Mans and Angers and 25 minutes to La Flèche. Inside the town, the bus networks serve Sablé quarters and sports and cultural facilities. And coaches travel to La Flèche and Noyen-Sur-Sarthe. Finally, Angers airport lets you travel to Southampton. From there, you can easily reach the main cities of Great-Britain and Europe.
Property Styles and Architecture in Sablé-sur-Sarthe
- Town houses: they are an ideal type of property for a first investment or a buy-to-let. You can find many bargains in the area but the properties are likely to need some renovation and works. They may come with a terrace, outbuildings and a piece of land. They are often attached to other houses and have shed dormers on the roof. Beams are in general exposed inside. Another asset is that they are located close to all amenities: shops, schools, bus stops…
- Detached houses: they are often built in the countryside and offer thus a beautiful view. Some of them are one-storey properties and the sloping roof is made of slate tiles (sometimes however you can find red tiles). They have in general a rectangular and symmetrical shape. They come with outbuildings, garage and land. They are ideal if you are looking to settle in the area since you will be in a quiet place but close to the town centre.
Click here for more info about the Architecture in Pays de la Loire.
Search for Sable sur Sarthe Property now!
Couldn't find what you are looking for? Search again now!
The Guides to France are published for general information only.
Please visit our Disclaimer
for full details.