Montmorillon Property Insight
Montmorillon is a commune part of the Vienne department, in Poitou Charentes. The town has 7,500 inhabitants. An ideal place for culture lovers, Montmorillon is renowned for its publishing activity and is home to several fairs and festivals dedicated to books
Montmorillon is big enough to provide all the necessary amenities but small enough to be calm and offer a relaxed lifestyle. The architecture of the town is exceptional, hence it was listed as a “art and history area” by the French state. Its half-timbered properties as well as the gorgeous bridge and outstanding chapels and churches give a powerful style to this little-known town. Thus the area is full of museums dedicated to potholing or medieval life and culture.
Search for Montmorillon property now!
The town is often quoted when it comes to quality of life in the Poitou, for its style, climate and the warm welcome of inhabitants.
Montmorillon Immobilier & Property Market Trends
Average property prices in France in 2009 is about €3,200 / square metre. In Vienne, prices are generally around €2,012 / square metre. Montmorillon offers property between €900 and €1,200 / square metre on average which is very good value. The town is renowned as having lots of character.
Buying property in the ancient town centre of Montmorillon is thus a must, while buying in the countryside around will allow you to benefit from gorgeous views over the town. Rental opportunities in the area also have a great potential while gites and guest house businesses could be really successful in this little-known area of France.
To get updated info about the property prices in Poitou Charentes, please browse our French Property Market Reports published in the News Section every month.
Click here to have an overview of Poitou Charentes Property Prices.
5 Reasons to Buy a Property in Montmorillon
- Culture, art and historical heritage: as many towns in Poitou Charentes, culture is important in the Montmorillonnais area. Many museums allow you to discover the past and present culture. Along with this, Montmorillon is a major towns publishing books in the Vienne and culture lovers gather there for the festivals taking place there. Several famous French writers were born in Montmorillon.
- Good food: Montmorillon’s delights are numerous. The Macaroon delight is a mouthwatering cookie created in the 17th century, the recipe of which is still secret. The recipe was born in, and is still kept by the Rannou-Métivier family. Many varieties of cookies were created from the Macaroon, namely the macaroné, octogone, visitandine and bonne mémé cookies, whose names refer to local architecture, religious or family names. The traditional Méchoui is a lamb or mutton accompanied with white beans. The taste is simply irresistible. The Mijet is a dish made of wine, sugar and bread which is quite uncommon. A favourable moment to taste this is the dedicated annual celebration.
- Tranquillity and scenery: views from the town of Montmorillon are splendid. The town itself is a very pleasant place to stay and above all a calm place. You can only be seduced by Montmorillon, often described by visitors as “a real town with the assets of the countryside”. Amongst these assets, the excellent accessibility of the department through motorways, airports and stations.
- People: Montmorillonnais people are renowned for their warm welcome. This means that foreigners will be easily integrated.
- Property prices and ROI: property in the town is cheap. The return on investment is thus quite fast. The potential of the area is also little-known and underestimated, but the town would be ideal for buy-to-let investments or to set up a tourism-related activity such as a B&B.
Property Styles and Architecture in Montmorillon
- Half-timbered properties: Montmorillon has half-timbering (Colombage) houses on offer. They are of soft, very pleasant colours. Wood is used both inside and outside the house, which gives a gorgeous aspect. If you want to buy a breathtaking traditional property in Vienne, these properties will tick all your boxes.
- Town houses: these simple properties have all the hallmarks of Picto-Charentaise houses: a gently sloping roof along with a simple and pleasant layout. In Montmorillon, they are also cheap, which quite suits potential property buyers.
Click here for more info about the Architecture in Poitou Charentes.
Search for Montmorillon property now!
Couldn't find what you are looking for? Search again now!
The Guides to France are published for general information only.
Please visit our Disclaimer
for full details.