2. Home Improvement Grants in France

  1. French Housing Improvement Agency
  2. Eligible Persons
  3. Eligible Properties
  4. Eligible Works
  5. Level of Grant
  6. Application Process

2.1. French Housing Improvement Agency

A system of grant aid for home improvement operates in France under the auspices of a government housing agency Agence Nationale pour l’Amélioration de l’Habitat (ANAH).

They offer a grant called Ma Prime Renov Décente which operates alongside a separate grants system for energy efficiency, which you can read about at Guide to Financial Assistance for Energy Efficiency. Indeed, both grants focus on energy efficiency, so your project will need to have such improvements as their main priority.

Although grant assistance is available throughout France, access to the grants is subject to means testing, and there are maximum limits on the level of the grant. Slight variations to the national rules also occur at a departmental level.

Moreover, even if you meet the eligibility criteria, the grant is not given as an automatic right; each case is considered on its merits, within the boundaries of the main rules and in accordance with local priorities.

Accordingly, the best advice we can give is that if you appear to meet the basic eligibility criterion you should visit your local ANAH office.

Many county and regional councils also have schemes of assistance available to for home improvement, for home owners and landlords alike. The assistance is often complementary to national schemes.

It may also be available to support the improvement of those areas designated of particular architectural or historic interest, called Zones de Protection du Patrimoine Architectural, Urbain et Paysager (ZPPAUP), Secteur Sauvegardé or Aires de Mise en Valeur de l’Architecture et du Patrimoine (AMVAP).

Some councils are particularly active in offering assistance to new or existing guest-house owners, although this is not universally the case, as in some parts of the country there is a surfeit of such properties.

The rules of eligibility are determined by each department or region, so we are unable to provide details here.

Chambre d'hote owners would be best advised to first try the web site of your Conseil Général or Conseil Régional to find out generally if there is anything available, and then follow it up with a visit or written enquiry.

You may also find that some local mairie offer financial assistance, often in the form of a grant to assist with improvement of the external façade of the property, particularly if located within an improvement area. Once again, their grant will be considered along with that available from ANAH.

Next: Eligible Persons

Back: Index - Financial Assistance for Property Renovation

The Guides to France are published for general information only.
Please visit our Disclaimer for full details.